Small Charity Week is a campaign which was first established by the Foundation for Social Improvement (FSI) in 2010 to celebrate and raise the profile of the small charity sector. This includes all charities with an annual turnover of up to £1.5m.
Each year, the week is organised into a series of activities and initiatives to support and raise awareness of the hundreds and thousands of small charities that, every day, make a huge difference to vulnerable communities.
YMCA East Herts fully supports this initiative and the five key objectives of Small Charity Week, which are to:
• Celebrate the contribution small charities make to communities throughout the UK and across the world
• Improve the knowledge, representation and sustainability of small charities
• Highlight the work of the small charity sector to the broadest possible audience
• Encourage public giving
• Work with the small charity sector to develop political engagement at a national and local level.
One of the fun ideas is that people who benefit from the charities, and also those who support it, have an opportunity to say: I love (the Charity) because……
Here are some of the quotes that came from our residents:
I love YMCA East Herts, because:
• They give great support and they’re always there with a shoulder to cry on
• They’ve helped prepare me for the outside world
• They’ve provided a roof over my head
• They’ve given me an opportunity to better my life and look to the future
• I have met some very funny characters!
• I get to play free pool with my mates and members of staff
And perhaps a favourite one:
• The YMCA is one, great, big dysfunctional family.
As part of Small Charity Week, the FSI and Small Charity Week partners are releasing a range of free informative toolkits. To find out more, please click on: smallcharityweek.com/about-small-charity-week
Please remember to support the small charities where you live – they make such a difference in people’s lives.